for Pet Owners
Bracken Ridge Veterinary Hospital – Bedford, PA
At Bracken Ridge Veterinary Hospital, our staff is pleased to provide the following informative links to educational resources that we believe may be of value to you as you care for your pet. If you enjoy these materials, please share them so that others may benefit as well. As a dedicated pet caregiver, we understand that you are interested in learning more about how to provide the best for your new companion. It is our hope that you find something of value below as you continue searching for ways to enrich the life you share with your pet.
Humane Animal Shelters Organizations
- Bedford County Humane Society – Bedford, PA
- Huntingdon County, PA Humane Society – Huntingdon, PA
- Central PA Humane Society – (Blair County) Altoona, PA
- Mending Hearts Animal Rescue – (Blair County) Hollidaysburg, PA
- Humane Society of Somerset County – Somerset, PA
- Humane Society of Cambria County – Johnstown, PA
- Allegany County Animal Shelter – Cumberland, MD
- Garrett County Government Animal Shelter – Oakland, MD
- HART for Animals – Accident, MD
- Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
General Pet Care
- Fear Free Homes – Fascinating resource on pet psychology, behavior and training
- Pet Health Network – General pet health topics (focus on cat and dog care)
- Veterinary Partner – Reputable professional source for of information for pet owners
- Veterinary Oral Health Council – Discover how you can help your cat or dog avoid painful periodontal disease
- FDA Pet Food Recalls – Get information straight from the source at the USDA recall site.
- Pet Poison Helpline – Great info including list of poisonous substances to avoid, how to recognize the signs of poisoning, and what to do if you think your pet has been poisoned (fee for service call)
- Animal Poison Control Center – Information and mobile app from the ASPCA detailing common plant, household, and food poisons. (fee for service call)
- Disaster Preparedness for Pets – Learn what you can do not to help keep your pet safe during a disaster
- American Heartworm Society – Resources about heartworm disease prevalence, how it is transmitted, and how you can protect your pet
- Pets & Parasites – Maps of current parasite outbreaks, modes of transmission, and other valuable tools from the Companion Animal Parasite Council to help protect your pet from internal and external parasites
Cat Care Resources
- Cat Friendly – Information presented by the American Association of Feline Practitioners with excellent information about maximizing cat health, understanding cat behavior, how to be a cat-friendly caregiver, and more.
- General Cat Care – Overview of basic cat care guidelines for new cat caregivers courtesy of the ASPCA
Dog Care Resources
- Choosing the Right Dog for the Right Family – Tips on how to select a dog who best fits in with your family from American Association of Veterinary Behaviorists
- Puppy Prep School – Socialization and training tips for puppies and new pet dogs from the Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine
- 3 Simple Steps to Choose the Best Chews for Your Dog – Safe Chew Toys: Important things to know and consider
Exotic Pet Resources
- Backyard Chicken Health – Recommendations on maintaining the health of your backyard flock from the CDC
- Basic Bird Care – Essential care information for pet birds from From the Association of Avian Veterinarians
- Signs of Illness in Companion Birds – Learn how to easily tell if your feathered friend may be sick from the Association of Avian Veterinarians
- Basic Rabbit Care – Rabbit feeding housing, handling, and basic care tips
- Spaying and Neutering Rabbits – Rabbits are one of the most prolific breeders in the world. Learn more about why you should consider this procedure for your pet.
- Sugar Glider Care – Essential information and care guide for these unique creatures
- Argus Institute – Broad range of resources for supportive and counseling during the pet loss grief process from Colorado State Vet School
- The Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement – Professional pet bereavement counseling and resources
Veterinary Professional Organizations
The links below are provided as information resources only. They are not endorsed by Bracken Ridge Animal Hospital.
- ASPCA Pet Health Insurance
- Nationwide Pet Insurance – Formerly VPI
- Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
The veterinarians and staff of Bracken Ridge Veterinary Hospital are committed to sharing a wide range of relevant, accurate information to help you provide the best possible care for your companion animal pet. If you have any healthcare-related concerns about your pet, please seek veterinary care right away. Bracken Ridge Veterinary Hospital is available to answer any pet care questions you may have: 814-623-1888.